Thank you for your interest in the National Study of Learning, Voting and Engagement (NSLVE), a signature initiative of the Institute for Democracy & Higher Education (IDHE). Signing up is free, easy, and completely protective of student privacy.
Institutions may join the study at any time. We cannot, however, immediately provide new participating institutions with voting data. At this time, we anticipate the next round of data processing will be in February 2018, with reports sent about three months later. We will update the website with any changes to that timeline. Please submit your authorization form by February 1st, 2018 to be part of the next data release. Institutions that sign up now will receive data for the 2012, 2014, and 2016 elections.
How to Join
To join NSLVE you have to submit a 2-page authorization form. You have an option to sign an electronic or paper form, which you can access at the top right of this page. Whichever you choose, the document must be signed by an authorized signatory on behalf of your institution. Typically, the signatory for a campus is a President, Vice President, Dean of the College, Dean of Students, Provost, Registrar, or Institutional Research Director, other leaders may be more appropriate signatories on your campus.
When completing the authorization form, each campus must also designate a report recipient, who may or may not be the same person as the signatory. We will only send the report to one person on each campus; that individual must then share it with others. In addition to receiving the NSLVE report, the report recipient will also receive occasional IDHE Updates with links to our most important research findings and resources we create for campuses to increase their student political learning and engagement in democracy.
Filling Out the Form
- (For electronic version only) Read the instructions on the form’s landing page and enter your name and email address to access the form. You do not need to have a DocuSign account.
- Page 1: Write your institution’s name at the top of the page.
- Page 2:
- Fill out your designated report recipient’s information after the line that reads: “The Institution authorizes CIRCLE* to send the resulting report(s) to the following individual or her/his successor.” (*Note: CIRCLE, our partner organization at the Tisch College of Civic Life, initially administered the NSLVE study.)
- Write your institution’s name again once prompted.
- Write your institution’s OPEID number. If you don’t know this number you can look it up here: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator
- Fill out your authorized signatory’s information in the lines that follow the OPEID number information.
- Sign and date the form.
- (For paper version only) Email the completed form to NSLVE@tufts.edu.
- (For electronic version only) Download the document for your records. NSLVE will automatically receive your signed form.
You will receive an email from us confirming receipt of the form and the approximate date of your first tailored NSLVE report. Should you have any questions, please contact us. Thank you and we look forward to having you in our study!